Ask the questions you’re afraid to ask – you may be surprised to hear the answers. Identifying as a gay woman that also happens to CrossFit, play in Strongman, is a Paramedic, used to train dogs, teaches yoga….blah blah blah – has apparently opened me up to some pretty interesting lines of questioning. Here are the one’s I hear often:
- Can you help me with my dog? (It’s likely that I can, but it’s not my job any more.)
- Did you see that crazy WOD? (Yup, I may have even programmed it!)
- Do you workout? (Yes, I do. Why do you ask?)
- I have this rash…what do you think it is? (Insert any complicated medical question here…remember that I’m not a doctor and I don’t likely know what’s wrong with you.)
- Can I do yoga if I can’t even touch my toes? (You can touch your toes, just bend your knees. And that likely means you should do yoga.)
- How old were you when you came out? (How old were you when you told your family you were straight? I was 14 or 15 when I told my parents.)
- Have you ever been with a guy? (Have you? Why does it matter? I’m a gold star…are you?)
Don’t hesitate to ask – if someone wants to tell you the answer, they will. Just ask your question in a respectful way without any attachment to the answer. I am a curious person and will likely ask you something some day. The questions that are asked will likely teach you something about yourself – maybe something you didn’t even know before.
Listen to the answers, even if you don’t like them, they’ll still teach you. Observe your response and reaction. It all has meaning. Remain a learner of life. When you are asked, do the same. Observer your reaction, response, your answer. We’re curious animals, we like to know what makes each other tic. Especially if it’s something we’re unfamiliar with.
I’ve asked some doozies of questions (and will likely again), if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have started dating and then marrying my wife (she actually proposed to me), found my bestie (I ask her a ton of questions that make her blush), learned how awesome the owners of my gym are….the list goes on….
What’s something you’ve always wanted to know but were afraid to ask someone?
Today’s total: 10
Total Points thus far 214 out of a possible 450